Is Your Grandpa Connected?
It's so easy to stay connect to loved ones today. We have access to Skype, texting, and social media to keep our family and friends up-to-date with our crazy lives. It's important to stay in touch with all of our loved ones--including older generations--and to keep them informed of the ever changing technology game. Make it a goal to educate grandparents and even great grandparents about technology. This Father's Day, why not treat Grandpa, or even Great-Grandpa, with his own technology lesson? While this may take some patience, with a few easy steps he can be texting and using Skype with ease.
Here are some easy steps:
1. Go through the bare bones of the device he will be using. Whether this is a smart phone or a tablet, make sure they know how to turn it on and off, work the volume, and charge it.
2. Make sure they know how to use the app store and manage their apps.
3. While walking them through everything, have them be the one manipulating the device.
4. Teach them how to use a search engine--and let them know how to conduct effective searches too.
5. Install some games. Teach them how to play! This is great for mental health too.
6. Teach them how to use Skype. Here’s a simple tutorial to get you started.
7. Make sure they know you will answer any problems or questions they have.
For the simplest device, choose a tablet/smart phone or a laptop with a touch screen. The great thing with the smartphone is that it's portable, and with loads of apps the smartphone may be the most practical choice. With these tips in hand, make sure your granpa is set up with two valuable items--WiFi and Skype. Reassure them that you are willing to help out with any questions and let the connecting begin!
Oh, and don't forget to wish them Happy Father's Day too! KidsEmail is a safe email service or kids. Try it for free today!